Seattle Butoh Festival 2017: March 31 – April 9, 2017
- Shoreline Community College Gallery Show: March 6 – April 10, Monday-Friday.
Live Butoh Dance Gallery Performances: Tuesdays 4:30pm
- March 7th Opening night
- March 14th Showcase
- March 21st
- April 4th – Student performance
- Master Class Butoh Dance Intensive Weekend given by Ruta de la Memoria (Chile) at the Taoist Studies Institute. March 31 (6 – 9 pm) , April 1 & 2 (10 am – 4 pm)
- Master Class Butoh Dance Day Workshop given by Ken Mai (Finland/Japan) at Shoreline Community College April 8, noon – 4
- Main stage Performance Weekend April 7, 8, 9, at Shoreline Community College
- Apr 7, 8: Ruta de la Memoria, Diana Garcia-Snyder, Joan Laage, Helen Thorsen and Sheri Brown.
- Apr 9: Ken Mai and Kaoru Okumura
In 2017, DAIPAN is planning its most ambitious festival bringing international dance artist Natalia Cuellar from Chile with her dance company Ruta De La Memoria to perform and present workshops. In exchange, Natalia has invited the DAIPAN Collective to travel to Chile to perform a group work in Santiago at her butoh festival and to teach workshops. DAIPAN will also present Ken Mai, a Japanese butoh artist residing in Helsinki, Finland, to perform and conduct a workshop for the 2017 festival.
The 2017 festival, running March 31 through April 9, is partnering with Shoreline Community College Theater and Gallery. They will host the 2017 festival performances in the theater at the college, and are presenting a showcase of butoh photos by photographer Bruce Clayton Tom along with performances by DAIPAN in the College Gallery. Members of the Chilean company and Ken Mai will teach workshops at the Taoist Studies Institute. Themes for our festivals are the body as politics, hidden histories revealed, the feminine in its multitude of guises, personal primordial journeys and journeys of acceptance, and leading towards synthesis and unity.
Seattle Butoh Festival 2016: July 9 – 17, 2016
Cultivating Olympia Connections
Youngstown Cultural Arts Center, 4408 Delridge Way SW, Seattle 98106 – Workshop and Performances
Kubota Garden, 9817 55th Ave S, Seattle 98178
- Delving deep into butoh aesthetics through guided explorations of the body and mind
- Sheri Brown Dance offers “Inner Landscapes/Lanscapes: a new ritual for 4 and 1” featuring dance & choreography by Sheri Brown with dancers Alan Sutherland, Diana Garcia-Snyder, Jeremy Chan, & Gerard St-Pierre De Pirate. With live music by Vox Vespertine, video art by Lane McCabe, and costume by Mary Welch & Deborah Skorstad.
- Kaoru Okumura’s collaboration with AI-generated projection by Artists and Machine Intelligence program at Google Research
- Helen Thorsen’s dance exploring and celebrating the delicacy and fierceness of the feminine spirit with images of witches, goddesses, sirens and whores
- Shoko Zama & Katrina Wolfe’s collaboration with Joan Laage inspired by Polish artist Beksiński’s paintings with live music by Robert Jędrzejewski and local cellist Lori Goldston
- Pondering what one can discover when embodying one’s own history through a work revealing ancient narratives by Olympians Ivan Espinosa, Christopher Arnett, Katie Zundel, Gabrielle Gribbin, Emily Bassett, Evan Rabinowitz, Ashley Wilton
- A new work by the Olympia WA based Butoh dance ensemble of Stephen Passero, Bruce Fogg, Julia Gentlestrength, and Felix Figaro
- Strolling through Kubota Garden and enjoy encountering dancers and musicians
A Seattle collaboration with Warsaw – beautiful costuming and staging with awesome video imagery and music setting the stage for a powerful duet with two western butoh pioneer
- July 9 & 10 Embodying The Spirit Workshop with Joan Laage Sat 11-3 pm/Sun 12-6 pm ($150/$125 early bird) Facebook Event Link
- July 15 & 16 8 pm Performances of DAIPAN members & Olympia guests $15/$18, Facebook Link
- 15th: Mary Cutrera, Ivan Espinosa & Co, Helen Thorsen, Katrina Wolfe & Shoko Zama
- 16th: Sheri Brown Dance , Mary Cutrera, Kaoru Okumura, Stephen Passero & Co
- July 17 12-3 pm Wandering & Wondering Performance @ Kubota Garden, 9817 55th Ave S, Seattle 98178 FREE
- July 17 7 pm Beksiński_Butoh. Untitled 2 (SPECIAL FESTIVAL EVENT) FREE
- Beksiński_Butoh. Untitled 2 is produced by LimenButoh Theatre Warsaw/Poland in collaboration with DAIPAN’s Joan Laage and co-financed by the City of Warsaw. It is inspired by renowned Polish painter, photographer, and fantasy artist Zdzislaw Beksiński (1929-2005), whose art, in the field of dystopian surrealism, is hauntingly evocative.
Photo by Bruce Clayton Tom
Seattle Butoh Festival 2015
Featuring Mexican Ritual Butoh Artist Diego Piñon and DAIPANbutoh Collective
The 2015 Seattle Butoh Festival will provide inspiring performances, workshops and educational experiences from our gifted guest artist Diego Piñon. Like Mr. Piñon, DAIPAN envisions a world free of oppression based on poverty, racism, sexism, sexual orientation, and discrimination of any kind, and to live a healthy and a productive life in peace, love and harmony. We promote this through dance, performance and teaching the principles and practices of butoh.
Butoh Ritual Mexicano (BRM) challenges us to awaken and explore all the human qualities ranging from the subtle to the outrageous. BRM seeks the emergence of the deeper self. Through this process of transforming our daily life through the rebirth of our dance, we can offer more inspired energy to our community. BRM training involves high-impact aerobic movement, active meditation, and guided improvisation, all embraced within a space of communal ritual. The collective physical training consists of shaking, low-level ground work, partnering, impulse exchange, and transpersonal communication in order to expand our currents of energetic exchange. Guided improvisations then give participants the opportunity to integrate this new-found sensory awareness within their physical body, external environments, and the collective presence to reach new realms of creative potential.
- July 10th-12th @Taoist Studies Institute, 225 N 70th St, Seattle 98103
Secure your spot in the workshop as soon as possible! http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1179163
- July 10: 6 ~ 9 pm
- July 11: 12 ~ 6 pm
- July 12: 10 am ~ 4 pm
DAIPAN members have been collectively supported each other’s projects, but now, we will unify our efforts and talents to create our first full-length ensemble piece researching movement as a potential of the human body to be the deepest and most effective global communicator. Join us July 17 & 18 at the Broadway Performance Hall when DAIPANbutoh members in their highest new phase of growth together with Mr. Piñon in his unique mastery will present two transformative stage performances. Then join us outdoors Sunday July 19th for a liberating free outdoor performance at Kubota Garden organized by Joan Laage and choreographed by Diego Piñon.
- July 17th & 18th 8 pm @Broadway Performance Hall, 1625 Broadway, Seattle 98122 http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1352112
- July 19th 12-3 pm @Kubota Garden *Free Event, 9817 55th Ave S, Seattle 98118
- July 14th 7:30pm @ Tashiro Kaplan Artist Lofts: “Let’s Talk Butoh” Potluck
- July 15th 5:30pm @ Cal Anderson Park: Art-in-the-Park performance
Seattle Butoh Festival 2014 Spring: Solo Fest
May 30 and 31, 2014
7pm door open; 7:30 pm show starts
$15/$12(seniors, students)/$25 (both nights)
Venue: Taoist Studies Institute, 225 N 70th St, Seattle WA 98103
THANK YOU for making the Seattle Butoh Festival 2014 Spring Solo Fest such a tremendous success! It has been said that there are as many styles of butoh as there are butoh dancers, and our festival most certainly celebrated this with vibrant depth and detail. The 8 unique dance voices of Sheri Brown, Diana Garcia-Snyder, Kaorum Okumura, Alexander Riding, Helen Thorsen, Katrina Wolfe* and Shoko Zama* (*choreographed by Joan Laage) were captured and amplified by the sub/consciousnesses of the diverse and abundantly rich audience members who packed the houses both nights. And what a “house” it was! Most profound thanks to the Taoist Studies Institute, with its inimitable emptiness, fullness, and grace- truly a magnificent place.
(Photo by Kaoru Okumura)
(photo by Yuko Ishii)
Seattle Summer Butoh Festival 2013 (August)
August 1 – 31, 2013
See Seattle Summer Butoh Festival 2013 page
Seattle Butoh Festival 2012
October 22 – 28, 2012
Seattle Butoh Festival 2011
June 2 – 18, 2011
Northwest Buttoh Wave – AGOGO Performance
November 5 – 6, 2010
- Guest: Kokoro Dance (Vancouver, BC)
- AGOGO Performance Program (PDF)